Sunday, September 21, 2008

Can I live without a cell phone?

OK, I'm obviously not going to die without a cell phone. I don't use one at all when I'm out of the country (international roaming charges suck). But it's really handy when I am home. Like yesterday I was at the grocery store and Billy called to ask me to pick something up. Or when I was on my way to parents and I called Billy from the parking lot to tell him where I'd parked (since he'd be flying back and picking up the car).

I've bought a Skype In number to be a contact number for banks and things. Call it and you get me on my computer as long as I'm logged into Skype. If I'm not logged in, it's got a voicemail box to hold my messages. And it doesn't matter where I am in the world, it's still only $30 per year to have the number (and about another $30 per year to make unlimited calls to the US on Skype Out). Like I said, when I'm out of the country, I don't use my cell at all.

So I'm definitely dropping our family plan with AT&T. But I hesitate to be totally without a cell phone. Prepaid seems like it might be the way to go. I could get away with that for $100, or even less if I'm not in the states much. But I'm tempted to just send my brother or in-laws $120/year to add me to a family plan. Which depends on whether I want to be on Verizon or AT&T.

I'm going to cancel service as soon as our contract is up (end of September). I'm pretty sure I'll break down and get a new one one way or the other before the end of the year.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist F' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP