Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Back home again

That's right. I said I'd update my blog and and I did. So there.


I'm back in Brazil now, and attempting to make up the hours I missed of work from traveling monday and tuesday. Technically, I did work tuesday, nearly 4 hours to be exact, while in the airport in Sao Paulo. They have this great place called FastSleep where you can take a nap, shower, etc. We had a REALLY long layover (9:30AM-5:30PM), so we were in there for about 5 hours. I didn't sleep (got to sleep on the plane pretty well), but I did take advantage of the free internet to log into work.

Our travel started at 3PM Monday when the limo came to pick us up. Then the four hour drive to JFK that for once only actually took 4 hours. Which meant we were 3 hours early for our flight. Quick checkin at the business class checkin and super secret private security line. No, we didn't fly business class again, but Billy's platinum status on Delta gets you a few perks. Like that we got to chill in the Delta Crown room instead of the waiting area. At least until it closed at 9. Then we got to go to the really nice business class lounge that stays open until everyone's flight leaves. That one had some free food (super tasty chocolate mousse dessert) AND a bar. The first one only had some free drinks (Billy had amaretto, I had hot cocoa).

The flight was over half empty in coach, so Billy laid down in the 3 seat across middle section and I curled up in two seats by the window. 3 seats would have been a lot more comfortable, but I still got a few hours of sleep. First I watched the two movies they played: Martian Child and Golden Compass. I liked them both. I have a feeling the Golden Compass book is a lot better than the movie. I think I'm going to read it sometime. The food would have been a TON better up in the front, but my cheese ravioli wasn't too bad, and it came with a little salad (mmm, creamy italian dressing), a roll, butter, crackers and some cheese. But I don't like swiss so I gave billy my cheese. They also let you have a free beer or wine with dinner. I only drank half and let billy finish it. Once I was done eating, I wasn't interested in it anymore. In the morning, we got OJ, hot tea, a croissant (actually not too bad), strawberry jam, a nature valley cinamon granola bar (love those things!), and a banana that was NOT ripe enough. I let billy eat that, and he gave back the one he'd gotten. They kept all the bananas people didn't eat to give back out again I think. Makes sense, the problem was they weren't ripe enough. So if that sort of thing bothers you, don't eat the fruit on the plane next time.

We landed early, went through customs and got our luggage without much delay. Worked in the fast sleep (billy napped most of the time), took a shower, checked in for our domestic flight, ate a late lunch at the pizza hut in the airport (surprisingly quite like a normal pizza hut pan pizza, except that it came with chicken and catipury like all good brazilian pizza does. They served it as two slices still stuck together with a small salad (which by some miracle comes with salad dressing!). You're supposed to eat it with a knife and fork. I cut it in half and we each had a slice. Then we got another one of these things with pepperoni and split that one too instead of going for dessert. There was no wait at security afterwards (laptop out, shoes still on). So we hung out in a quiet deserted gate until our flight time got near. Moved to our gate, found we were delayed a bit, tried to access the various wifi signals (all either locked or subscription), and talked about retirement investment accounts until the plane came. We were nearly in the back row of a fair sized plane (row 27). Flight was good, and we could disembark via the rear exit - gotta love that. Bags came quick in Porto Seguro, but it took a while to get the rental car. I don't think it was a language thing, I think she was having general computer issues. Got our car, drove to the hotel, aka. 'home'.

It feels more like home here than it does at our house. It's certainly more interesting, and I get to interact with more people. I'm going to try harder to learn portuguese (I swear!) and practice on the staff. The buffets are a lot smaller because it's the off season, but that also means it's less crowded. The club across the street is still rocking through. Last night we went over and got to see a capoeira performance for a bit before we came back to unpack. We got to sleep after midnight, but at least we were totally unpacked.

And this morning I was pleasantly surprised to see our original maid. She was way better than the replacement we had our last two weeks here. Not cleaning wise, they all rock at that, but she was good about trying to get in the room while I was out at breakfast or lunch. She actually paid attention and realized that I was in the room all day working (perhaps because I leave the door open sometimes for the breeze), and tried to work with my schedule. I hope we really do have her every day.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist F' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP