Friday, January 9, 2009

How do I love the CBD? Let me count the ways...

  1. My checking account earns a higher APY than today's 5 year CDs at most banks. 3.35%
  2. My savings account earns an even higher APY. 3.41%
  3. My money market account earns an even higher APY than that. 3.57%
  4. The APY on my accounts hasn't changed since I signed up in September. You've lowered your CDs (though they're still higher than most banks). I'll understand if you have to lower the regular accounts, too. But it sure has been sweet of you to keep them up for me.
  5. You don't charge me ATM fees, and refund fees the machine charges. I'll forgive you for currency conversion (0.2%) and cross border (0.8%) fees.
  6. Incoming direct deposits are available faster than any other bank I've used (HSBC, GFNB, E*Trade).
  7. Fully FDIC insured - yes even the money market account. It's only money market funds through brokerages that aren't insured.
  8. Your web banking is easy to use - including downloading OFX files, bill pay, PDF statements, balance notifications, and transfers between CBD accounts. I'll forgive you for the lack of bank to bank transfers (you say you're working on it) and direct connect to download straight from Moneydance (you do work with Quicken Online).
  9. Debit cards with Visa logo (and NYCE, pulse, and PLUS) for the checking and money market accounts. I'll forgive you for the lack of debit card on the savings. I've learned to live with lack of ability to set your own PIN for the debit cards - but I still think that's weird.
  10. You let me sign up online and download the signature card to scan or fax back to you. Luckily, you accept ACH transfers to open accounts, even though they aren't available in the online banking.
  11. More pre-addressed, post-paid deposit envelopes are just a phone call or email away.
  12. Free checks, with free reorders if I ever need more on both the checking and money market accounts.
  13. Really nice people, in a real bank in Kentucky answer the phone, or will return my message as soon as someone is available. Your southern charm and courteous follow-up to ensure everything was resolved to my satisfaction easily make up for your limited hours of support availability.
  14. Your secure email system is just as good as your phone support. If fact, it's the same people.

Not so enamored with your own bank? Maybe you should give Century Bank Direct a try. http://www.centurybankdirect.com/

Disclosure: I was paid for this post by way of high interest rates on my accounts. But they would have given me those even if I wrote mean things about them (or nothing at all). ;)

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist F' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP